Is your industry the 1 of 7 that WHS Division are targeting?
Seven Queensland industry sectors have been identified as requiring targeted efforts to improve safety in order to keep the state’s work injury rates trending down.
Recent statistics show that the serious injury claim rate for the following targeted sectors were much higher than each overall industry claim rate
- metals manufacturing
- meat processing
- road freight
- civil construction
- construction trades
- horticulture and livestock
Jobs in the these industries often involve hard, physical, dirty work.
“WHS Queensland will work closely with businesses in these sectors to identify the most prevalent injuries and what is causing them. Financial impact of injuries on businesses will be looked at, as well as the impacts on workers and their families.”
The Metals manufacturing industry action plan and the Meat processing industry action plan highlight:
- integration of health and safety, injury management and health and wellbeing systems
- resource materials for the control of occupational health and hygiene risks
- initiatives and resources to raise awareness and build industry capacity to manage musculoskeletal disorders,
- psychosocial and chronic disease risks
The Road freight industry action plan highlights:
- accessing and working on and around trucks and trailers
- coupling and decoupling
- immobilising heavy vehicles and trailers
- work related violence for bus drivers
- loading, unloading and cross-loading cattle
The Civil construction industry action plan and the Construction trades action plan highlight:
- working around mobile plant and moving traffic
- operating elevated work platforms
- loading and unloading trucks
- working around electrical installations.
The Horticulture industry action plan highlights:
- design controls for on farm transport of workers and loading and unloading of produce and equipment
- establishing partnerships with research institutions to improve safety
- establishing safety networks in major horticultural growing regions
- initiatives and resources to raise awareness and build industry capacity to manage musculoskeletal disorders, psychosocial and chronic disease risks.
The Livestock industry action plan highlights:
- livestock loading and unloading facilities
- safe work environments for young and travelling workers
- the use of agricultural chemicals
- exposure to noise and UV radiation
- working in isolation.